Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Wall making and rockery paving

11 Sept 2012: [Extension]  A busy day making further progress with panels, and getting hard landscaping done on the site where the extension will be.
   On Sunday, our cat disappeared for the day and I got quite worried, and was on the point of doing a neighbour's walkabout to ask, but realised that I didn't have a photo - I'd have to describe him as small, black with white paws. I resolved to take a photo of him should he return.
   At about 7pm, he turned up... hahaha and runs straight to the feeding bowl. Typical. Here he is, operating as my clerk of works, ensuring that the drawings for the cutting of the OSB boards is printed correctly!
Start of another day, and Andy cuts the boards that will make two of the roof cassettes. As it is 'Lean Construction', the right hand part of the board is the primary upper surface, but the off-cut, 945mm is what we will use for the lower surface. Zero waste!We also have to make the window head beam between the main wall panels, and every detail of the construction - glued sandwich panel held together with nylon rods - is consistent. 
DNC pasting in the glue thoroughly to all internal surfaces for the window-head beam.When the rods are at optimum tightness, the surplus nylon is trimmed off with a hand-saw.
Virtually the entire extension has been brought to the house using this roof-rack - insulation, OSB boards from John A Stephens, aluminium from the University and fixings from Screwfix. We only get deliveries if they are too heavy to bring, e.g. 20 paving slabs!Additional help turns up in the form of Michael Wells, who intended to lay paving slabs, but they were late. So he plunged into the task of making the roof panels. 
Two roof panels in progress are put aside when the paving slabs arrive as that has got to be done today!The nylon rods arrive in one metre lengths and we have a quick method for cutting them down to 190mm lengths.
The two walls panels facing south are mirror images of each other, so we make them in parallel, all the cutting and insulation fitting.... then there is a grand Glue-In of the two!The first of the wall panels being glued. Everything is now glued inside, and the final top panel is being glued, and once that is placed on top, it is sealed.
How wonderfully useful are our clamps. Here, the large overhangs at the edge detail require us to use off-cuts for securing the clamps.Here is the edge of the south wall panel that will meet the sidewalls. We use vapour proof tape where insulation blocks meet. The short wood block is to provide extra stiffness at the midpoint.
The silvered finish to the insulation is slightly water resistant (lotus leaf effect) so we really are dependent on the nylon rods to ensure that the panels stick together.The second mirror image wall panel is completed, and it's all hands to get this done quickly - gradual tightening of all nuts on the nylon rods. 
Michael gets started on the paving slab project - levelling the gravel and then adding screeding sand as a bed for the slabs.All the 450x450 slabs fit perfectly above the existing wall (this was planned), and I bought a new super-hard cutting disc for the angle grinder to make the uprights. It makes easy work of cutting the very hard concrete slabs.
The uprights are all 450x350, and the 100mm offcuts are perfect for filling the gaps where the original concrete uprights exist.DNC in cutting mood, with his wonderful new superhard blade (normal angle grinder blades cost one pound and are disposable, and this one costs 18 pounds and lasts... for a very long time!)
Having a 5-metre length of aluminium angle, it is easy to get the uprights absolutely lined up, vertical and perfectly level. The clamps come to the rescue again, and all six can be used to ensure that the 4.7m long run of upright slabs is perfectly aligned.
Behind the line of slabs, the gap is filled with fresh concrete, made using rainwater from the garden water-butt. No waste! I just hope that this is set by the next morning, and stiff enough in place for us to remove the clamps.The paving slabs are in the area underneath the cantilevering window structure, and in the earlier ArchiCAD drawing, I hadn't decided how to deal with this. If I left it as in the drawing, it would quickly become a dense thicket of green weeds.

1 comment:

  1. Great posting! I think this whole process of applying paving is simply great.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be moderated before showing. Please make them relevant to the subject of the posting. Comments which advertise commercial products will usually be deleted.

Popular Posts

There was an error in this gadget