Friday, May 18, 2012

Re-plumbing the Heat Exchanger


17 May 2012: After a very busy day at the University, I somehow found the will-power to get up into the loft in the evening and do some serious plumbing.
    I have added another airlock remover at one of the locations where the airlock formerly happened, and I have laid the whole Heat Exchanger on its back, so that airlocks cannot happen within. The H/X has one airlock remover, but will have another soon.
   The pipes here are not insulated yet as I have to let them work for a couple of days, and observe all joints for possible leaks. At this time of the year, the delta-T is small, and insulation is not urgent.

  I notice that when the Heat Pump is working, there is still a bit of unwanted circulation through the Heat Exchanger - this is because the effort of pushing glycol 48metres below the ground is such that it is easier to push some of that around my little heat exchanger. There is already a check valve on the H/X circuit, and I can see that I shall have to add another, to double the resistance.
  The complete solution is to use a solenoid valve, but I have learnt from experience how much better it is to reduce the number of electrical parts.
  Also, it is not good to put two check valves immediately next to each other, as you could get a small airlock in the space between, and there's not enough pressure to push it out. So I will put another one above the H/X, plus a second airlock remover.

1 comment:

  1. In addition to enhancing efficiency and reducing your heating bills, examining your furnace from time to time will ensure that your heating system is operating efficiently all throughout. Plus, it’s recommendable to test all the carbon monoxide detectors on a regular basis; change the filter every month; and clean out the ventilation system.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be moderated before showing. Please make them relevant to the subject of the posting. Comments which advertise commercial products will usually be deleted.

Popular Posts

There was an error in this gadget