If you’ve installed your PV system and want to know how to pigeon proof solar panels then keep reading. Investing in solar panels for your home has so many benefits including the ability to dramatically reduce your energy bills, add value to your home and reduce your property’s carbon emissions.
That being said, they do require a certain amount of maintenance and ongoing care to ensure that they work as efficiently as possible for your home, with one of the most common problems being the nesting of pigeons.
Pigeons simply love nesting underneath solar panels because it is warm, secure and there is plenty of space for them to live there.
Sounds sweet, doesn’t it?
Unfortunately, though, pigeons can create a lot of mess which is time-consuming to clear up, plus bird guano can be problematic for people who suffer from respiratory issues such as asthma or those who have weak immune systems.
Furthermore, pigeons can cause long term damage to your panels as well as dislodge wiring and stopping your panels from working altogether.
Fortunately, there are ways in which you can deter pigeons, as well as companies who can pigeon proof your solar panels for you.
What does a solar panel pigeon proofing service include?
Most pigeon proofing services include three main elements:
- The removal of existing nesting pigeons and the cleaning of the area itself.
- The application of a biocide underneath to get rid of any bird mites and to break down any hardened pigeon guano that may have become stuck to your solar panels.
- The installation of pigeon proofing around the outer sides of the panels using galvanised steel.
How much does solar panel pigeon proofing cost?
The cost of pigeon proofing your solar panels can vary depending on a number of factors. Firstly, how easily your solar panels can be accessed; if they can reach your panels using ladders, it will be significantly cheaper than if scaffolding is needed.
It can be a good idea to send pictures of your home and your solar panels before you commit to a pigeon proofing service so that they can effectively evaluate the scale of the job and give you an accurate quote.
The initial cost of removing pigeons from underneath your panels can cost around £100, whereas the installation of netting and spikes can cost up to £500.
How can I deter pigeons from my solar panels?
As well as investing in a solar panel pigeon proofing service, there are also steps that you can take yourself to prevent pigeons from nesting underneath your panels.
- Ensuring that your garden is clean and that no food has been left out or pulled out of your bins by other animals such as cats or foxes.
- Making sure that your rubbish bins are secure so that pigeons cannot gain access to them.
- Cleaning up any pet food immediately.
- Removing any potential nesting materials from outside your property such as twigs, leaves and other debris.
Do not let the possibility of pigeons put you off the idea of having solar panels installed in your home. The benefits of solar panel energy far outweigh the inconvenience of a few pesky pigeons that can be removed and dealt with for a small, one-time fee and can sometimes be included for free in your installation.